Social Impact Travel
As a travel enthusiast, my exposure to contrasting realities around the world made me develop a strong sense of accountability for bringing about positive impact to less fortunate communities - especially in developing countries.
This is why in the last half a decade, I started to combine tourism with opportunities to interact and support some local communities, families and especially children.
After having run privately-funded efforts in Kenya, Ethiopia and Seychelles, I felt motivated to take one step further and run funding campaigns among family, friends and colleagues to support such initiatives.
Moshi, Tanzania - 2019/2020
In 2019, prior to a planned private trip to Tanzania, I once again identified a target need in the region and started a campaign aimed at raising funds to maintain a children center for 90 orphans and street kids for a whole year (2020).
The campaign surpassed its initial target by 40%, guaranteeing much more than the initial plans. By January 2020, achievements included:
- Five children who had quit studying returned to school
- Each of the 95 children got covered by a group health insurance
- The whole center was renovated, including the façade and interior
- A local artist was commissioned to paint the center’s walls with educational motives
- The toilets were renovated and the squat ceramic exchanged for new ones
- The pathway between the toilets and the center was paved to avoid mud accumulation
- A new white board as well as creativity school supplies such as crayons and color markers were purchased
- A television was acquired, opening a new world of possibilities with video education in class
- Sitting mats were purchased for the play room
- Trash cans were installed for the first time in the center following educational exercises about waste during our visit
- Every child now owns an individual plastic cup, toothbrush and toothpaste. Dental hygiene is now part of their daily routine while in the center.
- We received a generous donation of more than a 100 toys. They were delivered in directly to the kids, who chose their preferred one. The additional pieces were donated to children in the neighboring communities.
- The center now employs a fixed teacher, a cook and a matron with guaranteed salaries for the whole year (2020) thanks to the project.
A whole year of work delivering food, shelter and education to these children has just begun . We keep our campaign open and welcome donations under https://www.tinyurl.com/charity4hope
To receive pictures and short videos from the children on your phone, join this WhatsApp group: https://www.tinyurl.com/kilihope
To see the accounts of money transfers to the NGO who’s helping us manage the project as well as the expenses including invoices, please visit this shared folder: https://tinyurl.com/kiliaccounts
- Cause Children
- Started in August 2019
- Initial Target € 6,000
- Total Raised* € 8,365
- Nr. of Donors* 118
- Invested in Food Supplies, Shelter, Health and Education
* as of 31.12.2019
Sal Island, Cape Verde - 2018
In 2018, I held my first fundraising for charity campaign. 100% of the funds were invested in the welfare of a group of 68 children in the community of Santa Maria in the Island of Cape Verde.
I spent a week in Cape Verde, where I personally met the children who depend on the support of the group of volunteers "Castelos do Sal", and thanks to the donations collected, we managed to deliver 5 weeks of food supply for the children, a unique piece of clothing for each one of them as well as 50 children's books to build their library.
The campaign was held online. Details of the campaign including all updates and final report can be found under https://www.gofundme.com/thyagoscharity. All funds collected and spent in the campaign have been documented and invoices can be found under this online folder.
- Cause Children
- Started in January 2018
- Duration 3 months
- Initial Target € 1,000
- Total Raised € 2,750
- Nr. of Donors 53
- Invested in Food Supplies, Clothing and Books